Westmont College jumps to Gigabit Wi-Fi for three reasons: "Speed, speed and speed"
Network World - Westmont College was the first school in the country to deploy an all-802.11n network when, four years ago, it rolled out 290 Meraki access points to bring nearly complete coverage to dorms, classrooms and campus buildings.
So, it's no surprise that CIO Reed Sheard is moving quickly to keep Westmont College, a small liberal arts school in Santa Barbara, Calif., on the cutting edge by upgrading to 802.11ac.A And the fact that Cisco bought Meraki in 2012 is a plus, Sheard says, because the college's wired infrastructure just happens to be 100% Cisco.
"We have no traditional Cisco wireless equipment in our network and, thus, no on-premise controllers or software management tools," says Sheard. "The real benefit of the purchase of Meraki by Cisco is that it makes for a more predictable future between our wired and wireless partners working together as a single organization."
Already an Insider? Sign in
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts