Schmidt gets $100M in Google stock -- again
Google chairman also awarded a $6 million cash bonus for his work in 2013
IDG News Service - When Google awarded Eric Schmidt a $100 million stock bonus in 2011 it was seen as unprecedented for the company. Now it's doing it again.
Google said in a regulatory filing Tuesday that its former CEO and current executive chairman will be eligible for the same award again. It will vest in stages over four years from May 2015. The previous four-year award, granted at the time he stepped down as CEO, expires when the new one kicks in.
The awards are spread out over four years as an incentive for Schmidt to stay at Google and not jump to a competitor.
While no longer responsible for Google's day-to-day operations, Schmidt retains a high profile at the company. He has also been getting more involved in projects to bring the Internet to countries with authoritarian regimes. He visited several countries including North Korea to preach his message of engagement and how the Internet can help closed countries. He co-authored a book on the subject, "The New Digital Age," with Jared Cohen, head of the Google Ideas project.
Google also said Tuesday that Schmidt will get a $6 million cash bonus for 2013. That equals the bonus he got for his work in 2012.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts