Tip of the Hat: What the Google-Lenovo deal may mean for Motorola's U.S. workforce
A look at what Lenovo's ownership may mean to the workers manufacturing Motorola smartphones in the U.S.
Computerworld - Many stories speculating on what Lenovo's $2.91 billion acquisition of Google's Motorola smartphone unit means for the mobile market, for China and the U.S. and for the businesses of the two companies involved have been posted or written by reporters over the past couple of weeks.
There has been little said, though, about the future of Motorola's workforce in the U.S.
While it appears that the jobs of the 4,000 or so people working at the Google unit's headquarters near Chicago are safe for now, Lenovo has said little about the people working for subcontractor Flextronics building Motorola smartphones in Texas. Lenovo has only said that "there are now no plans" to move the manufacturing operations.
A Computerworld Tip of the Hat to Engadget's Terrence O'Brien for his attempt late last week to translate the Lenovo statements about the future of its U.S. manufacturing workers, and to look at the company's history of building PCs in the U.S. in What Lenovo's Motorola deal could mean for American manufacturing. He concludes that Motorola and other U.S. tech manufacuring workers can be "slightly optimistic" about their future employment possibilities.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!