Yahoo to buy developer of Donna personal assistant app
The Donna service will be shut down after the transaction
IDG News Service - Yahoo has entered into an agreement to acquire Incredible Labs, the startup behind mobile personal assistant app Donna.
The Internet giant did not comment on whether it was acquiring the company for its technology or for its talent, a trend popularly known as an acqui-hire, but said that five team members from Incredible Labs will join Yahoo's communications team in Sunnyvale, Calif., after the deal closes, where they will work on Yahoo Mail.
The Donna app is also being shut down. The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. The transaction is expected to close in the next few days, Yahoo said.
"When we met with the team from Incredible Labs, it was an immediate fit," Yahoo said in a statement on Thursday. "As we look to the future, our visions are aligned in that we think technology should be smart enough to think for us."
Donna helps its users by reminding them of upcoming appointments, notifying them when to leave based on traffic, travel time, and the current location, and dialing into conference calls. "In case you haven't heard of her, Donna's pretty amazing - she has an immense amount of intellect, she keeps you on time and gives you the information you need, when you need it," Yahoo said in its statement.
But following closing, Donna will be removed from the app store and discontinued as a service, Incredible Labs said in a post on its website.
Yahoo has been on an acquisition spree, and earlier this week it said it was acquiring Tomfoolery, a startup whose key product is Anchor, an app offering group chats, file sharing, and email and voice calling for businesses.
Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer said during the company's fourth quarter earnings call that it would continue to look for opportunities for talent acquisitions.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts