Intel to close its AppUp online app store
The app store was first set up to support users of netbook computers
IDG News Service - Intel is closing down its AppUp online application store as it sees a shift in the market and consumer needs.
Designed originally for netbook computers, the Intel AppUp center was first unveiled in a beta program in 2010, with plans to expand its scope to smartphones, TVs and other consumer devices that use Intel processors.
The application store aimed to help develop the market for the products, attract developers to the platform and support customers. Intel Capital, the company's venture capital arm, announced in 2011 a $100 million AppUp fund to invest in companies developing applications and digital content for PCs and mobile devices.
But the needs of consumers have since changed and so also the market environment, an Intel spokeswoman said late Wednesday. The company is realigning to focus on cloud services for enterprises, developers and operators, she added.
Some of Intel's partners like Microsoft also offer applications for download from vastly popular online stores.
The Intel AppUp center will close March 11 as the company focuses "on developing new and exciting PC innovations that will continue to shape your world," Intel said in a brief message on its website.
In a FAQ posted to its website, Intel said that after March 11, no new content or apps will be available for download from the store. Applications will not be updated or receive notifications through AppUp after that date.
"Some of the apps in the store use a special technology which protects the app from being pirated/duplicated," Intel said. These apps will work until May 15th, 2015, as long as users have the latest AppUp client installed.
Intel is also refunding users for paid applications for the actual transaction price. The refund process will be available from Jan 28 through Dec. 19 this year.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts