Apple sold 51M iPhones last quarter, touts $57.6B in revenue
Apple set records in both iPhone sales and quarterly revenue
IDG News Service - Apple set two records for itself in the first quarter of its 2014 fiscal year, selling 51 million iPhones and reporting revenue of $57.6 billion, with a net profit of $13.1 billion.
Apple said it also sold 26 million iPads during the quarter, topping its previous record of 22.9 million sold in the year-earlier quarter, when it also sold 47.8 million iPhones. Mac sales were up to 4.8 million from 4.1 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2013.
The company's gross margins slipped to 37.9 percent from 38.6 percent in the comparable quarter a year ago. Apple said that 63 percent of its revenue came from international sales.
Earnings per share, at $14.50, were in line with analysts' estimates that averaged $14.09 per share. Apple will pay a cash dividend of $3.05 per share on Feb. 13.
For the current, second fiscal quarter, Apple is forecasting revenue between $42 billion and $44 billion, and gross margins between 37 and 38 percent.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Architecting the Network of the Future Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Macintosh White Papers |