Yahoo buys virtual worlds gaming company Cloud Party
The company helps to improve Yahoo's own engineering prowess
IDG News Service - Yahoo has acquired Cloud Party, a gaming company specializing in virtual worlds, in another deal to give the search giant more engineering chops.
Cloud Party provided a multiplayer, three-dimensional gaming platform that could run directly in a Web browser without plug-ins. Players could build their own worlds and avatars and explore immersive environments, similar to the online system Second Life. The company launched in 2011.
Now those worlds, or at least the technology they were built on, will be incorporated into Yahoo. Cloud Party CEO Sam Thompson said in a blog post Friday that the company will be joining Yahoo and shutting down its service next month
A Yahoo spokeswoman confirmed the acquisition. Financial details were not disclosed.
Cloud Party may not provide Yahoo with any sweeping new worlds in which its users can play, at least not immediately. Yahoo's Games site already lets people play games online and download titles including arcade, board and puzzle games.
Cloud Party appears to be another "acqui-hire" for Yahoo, netting it a talented pool of gaming developers who could improve Yahoo's own gaming offerings or build new ones.
"We're excited to merge their unique perspective and experience with a team that is just as passionate about gaming," the Yahoo spokeswoman said.
Yahoo signaled its interest in gaming last year when it acquired PlayerScale, which provides infrastructure software.
Yahoo has been on an acquisition spree since Marissa Mayer became CEO in 2012. Some of those acquisitions have brought new users, as with Tumblr last May.
But others have been geared toward technology and engineering, as with LookFlow for improving Flickr.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts