Apple plans to add mobile-payments offering
Plans to produce product that competes with those of Google, PayPal, Square and others, report says
IDG News Service - Apple is making internal and external moves to expand its ability to handle mobile payments, stepping more deeply into a market where rivals would include eBay's PayPal, Google and niche specialists like Square and Stripe, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Apple CEO Tim Cook has dispatched iTunes and App Store chief Eddy Cue to meet with industry executives to gauge their interest in having Apple handle mobile payments for physical goods and services, the Journal reported on Friday, quoting anonymous sources.
Internally, Apple created a new position for an executive to be in charge of a project to build a new payment system, and picked Jennifer Bailey for the job, according to the article, where she's described as "a longtime executive" in charge of Apple's online stores.
Apple is seeking to build upon the hundreds of million of credit cards stored on iTunes and App Store, and upon the vast user base of iPhones and iPads. The company already lets people to pay for some products in Apple retail stores by scanning the item and paying with a credit card on file on iTunes, the Journal reported.
Apple didn't immediately respond to a request for comment about the Journal's article.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Understanding big data so you can act with confidence Automating information integration and governance and employing it at the point of data creation helps organizations boost confidence in their big data.
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Payments White Papers | Webcasts