Apple plans to add mobile-payments offering
Plans to produce product that competes with those of Google, PayPal, Square and others, report says
IDG News Service - Apple is making internal and external moves to expand its ability to handle mobile payments, stepping more deeply into a market where rivals would include eBay's PayPal, Google and niche specialists like Square and Stripe, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Apple CEO Tim Cook has dispatched iTunes and App Store chief Eddy Cue to meet with industry executives to gauge their interest in having Apple handle mobile payments for physical goods and services, the Journal reported on Friday, quoting anonymous sources.
Internally, Apple created a new position for an executive to be in charge of a project to build a new payment system, and picked Jennifer Bailey for the job, according to the article, where she's described as "a longtime executive" in charge of Apple's online stores.
Apple is seeking to build upon the hundreds of million of credit cards stored on iTunes and App Store, and upon the vast user base of iPhones and iPads. The company already lets people to pay for some products in Apple retail stores by scanning the item and paying with a credit card on file on iTunes, the Journal reported.
Apple didn't immediately respond to a request for comment about the Journal's article.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Mobile Payments White Papers | Webcasts