Apple plans to add mobile-payments offering
Plans to produce product that competes with those of Google, PayPal, Square and others, report says
IDG News Service - Apple is making internal and external moves to expand its ability to handle mobile payments, stepping more deeply into a market where rivals would include eBay's PayPal, Google and niche specialists like Square and Stripe, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Apple CEO Tim Cook has dispatched iTunes and App Store chief Eddy Cue to meet with industry executives to gauge their interest in having Apple handle mobile payments for physical goods and services, the Journal reported on Friday, quoting anonymous sources.
Internally, Apple created a new position for an executive to be in charge of a project to build a new payment system, and picked Jennifer Bailey for the job, according to the article, where she's described as "a longtime executive" in charge of Apple's online stores.
Apple is seeking to build upon the hundreds of million of credit cards stored on iTunes and App Store, and upon the vast user base of iPhones and iPads. The company already lets people to pay for some products in Apple retail stores by scanning the item and paying with a credit card on file on iTunes, the Journal reported.
Apple didn't immediately respond to a request for comment about the Journal's article.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Mobile Payments White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!