Amazon and Microsoft drop cloud storage prices by up to 50%
Microsoft will continue to match Amazon's prices
Computerworld - Last April, Microsoft committed to matching Amazon's Web Services' (AWS') prices for compute, storage and bandwidth.
"We are matching AWS' lowest prices (US East Region) for S3 and EBS, reducing prices by up to 20% and making the lower prices available in all regions worldwide," Microsoft posted in its official blog today.
For Microsoft's "Locally Redundant Disks/Page Blobs Storage," the company is reducing prices by up to 28%. It is also reducing the price of Azure Storage service by 50%.
Amazon's new prices take effect Feb. 1. Microsoft's price cuts begin March 13.
"We're also making the new prices effective worldwide, which means that Azure storage will be less expensive than AWS in many regions," Microsoft said.
Amazon said it dropped its prices for its S3 storage by 22% and its EBS standard volume storage and I/O operations by up to 50%.
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cloud Backup IT departments are embracing cloud backup, but there's a lot you need to know before choosing a service provider. Learn all the critical...
- Pivotal CF: The Journey to Great Software Begins Here The concept of PaaS is not new, but a new class is emerging. This second generation of hybrid PaaS allows technologists to have...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different.... All Cloud Storage White Papers | Webcasts