Amazon and Microsoft drop cloud storage prices by up to 50%
Microsoft will continue to match Amazon's prices
Computerworld - Last April, Microsoft committed to matching Amazon's Web Services' (AWS') prices for compute, storage and bandwidth.
"We are matching AWS' lowest prices (US East Region) for S3 and EBS, reducing prices by up to 20% and making the lower prices available in all regions worldwide," Microsoft posted in its official blog today.
For Microsoft's "Locally Redundant Disks/Page Blobs Storage," the company is reducing prices by up to 28%. It is also reducing the price of Azure Storage service by 50%.
Amazon's new prices take effect Feb. 1. Microsoft's price cuts begin March 13.
"We're also making the new prices effective worldwide, which means that Azure storage will be less expensive than AWS in many regions," Microsoft said.
Amazon said it dropped its prices for its S3 storage by 22% and its EBS standard volume storage and I/O operations by up to 50%.
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Leveraging Endpoint Backup for Legal Holds & E-Discovery Learn how enterprise endpoint backup can satisfy data collection and preservation requirements in a more streamlined and cost-effective manner than traditional e-discovery methods.
- Checklist for Enterprise-Readiness--Why CrashPlan Ranks #1 for Enterprise Endpoint Backup Read on for a list of Netskope's key criteria that led to CrashPlan's top placement.
- Review: Box beats Dropbox - and all the rest - for business Box trumps Dropbox, Engyte, Citrix ShareFile, EMC Syncplicity, and OwnCloud with rich mix of file sync, file sharing, user management, deep reporting and...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Cloud Storage White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!