Apple to fix iOS 7 crash bug
The flaw sometimes causes iPhones to shut down suddenly
IDG News Service - Apple says it will fix a bug in the iOS 7 operating system that has caused some iPhones to crash.
Some users have complained about the problem since iOS 7's introduction last September, saying their iPhones shut down without warning. Some social media comments have compared the flaw to the infamous Windows "blue screen of death."
Now, help is apparently on the way.
"We have a fix in an upcoming software update for a bug that can occasionally cause a home screen crash," Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller said Wednesday.
iOS 7, the current operating system for iPads and iPod Touch units as well as iPhones, has received a few updates and may be close to a more major upgrade to a 7.1 version.
Last year, Apple patched a flaw that let users get past the lockscreen and access and use some data, including posting images to online services. Another patch fixed a problem that sometimes caused FaceTime video chat sessions to fail.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All iOS White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!