Red Hat refreshes private cloud stacks for the enterprise
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 4.0 features the latest version of the OpenStack cloud building software
IDG News Service - Red Hat has updated a number of its products for running private clouds, better preparing them for the complex ways of the enterprise.
"The journey to the open private cloud has got multiple stages. We've got offerings to help you along every single step of the way and today we've refreshed all these offerings so you can take these capabilities into your environment and get to an open private cloud sooner rather than later," said Radesh Balakrishnan, Red Hat's general manager for virtualization business, in a Wednesday webcast detailing how the new products could be used in enterprises.
The company released Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 4.0, Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure 4.0 and Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV) 3.3.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform is Red Hat's commercially supported edition of the OpenStack cloud hosting software. The new version is based off of the Havana version of OpenStack, released in October. The package is built on the Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.5 Linux distribution, and includes RHEV for managing virtual machines running on the KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) hypervisor.
Much has been done in this release to aid the administrator in provisioning and managing the workloads that run on OpenStack.
Foreman, a new lifecycle management tool, allows the administrator to provision physical and virtual infrastructure resources from the same console.
A new OpenStack orchestration engine called Heat also provides some provisioning capabilities, and is able to work with a broad range of entities, including compute nodes, virtual machines, disk volumes, and security groups.
Red Hat's release will be the first to include full support for OpenStack's network management component, called Neutron (previously named Quantum), allowing the administrator to manage virtual Ethernet ports and other networking resources. The new OpenStack telemetry component, Ceilometer, monitors how much usage various OpenStack components are getting and who is using those components, which can be handy for billing purposes.
Red Hat also updated its package for running an infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) using OpenStack, called Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure. The software provides "a unified management of both traditional data center virtualization and elastic cloud" services, Balakrishnan said. Version 4 includes Red Hat CloudForms, a management tool that can oversee multiple hypervisor environments.
RHEV has also been updated. The newly released version 3.3 of RHEV features a new API (application programming interface) for backing up and restoring virtual machines. Already, Symantec, NetApp and Hewlett-Packard all have used the API to support for RHEV within their own backup products.
RHEV 3.3 also offers a self-hosted engine, eliminating the need to run RHEV on a separate server. "You don't have to dedicate hardware just to run the management nodes. The management console can also run as a virtual machine," Balakrishnan said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts