Toshiba has bought OCZ Storage
The Silicon Valley SSD maker is now part of Toshiba but will continue to operate independently
IDG News Service - Toshiba has completed its acquisition of OCZ Storage Solutions, a failed Silicon Valley maker of solid-state drives, the company said Tuesday.
Solid-state drives are storage components built with flash memory that are intended to replace spinning disks in laptops, desktop computers and servers. They offer lower power consumption and better performance but are typically more expensive per gigabyte than hard drives.
OCZ said in November last year that it had defaulted on a loan agreement after its business was hit because it was having trouble buying enough flash memory chips for its drives.
Revenue had fallen to US$33.5 million in its most recent quarter, down from $88.6 million in the same period a year earlier. But despite the sharply lower revenue, its losses shrunk to $26.1 million from $33.2 million a year earlier.
At that time, Toshiba said it had offered to buy the company as long as it could maintain the value of its business and keep its employees.
Financial details of the acquisition were not announced.
OCZ will continue to operate independently and be based in San Jose, California. Toshiba is a major manufacturer of flash-memory chips, so it should be able to supply OCZ's SSD manufacturing operations with enough silicon.
The acquisition brings Toshiba OCZ's enterprise and client SSD customers, both markets it intends to keep serving, the company said in a statement.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts