Security startup Impermium joining Google
Google expects Impermium to fit in with Google's own spam and abuse teams
IDG News Service - Security company Impermium has joined Google to help boost the Internet giant's already considerable expertise in countering spam and abuse.
Impermium's CEO and cofounder Mark Risher said in a post Wednesday on the startup's website that Impermium was joining Google. "By joining Google, our team will merge with some of the best abuse fighters in the world," he wrote.
"As sites gain in popularity, criminals and miscreants are never far behind, and Impermium has worked hard to defend some of the largest and fastest-growing sites," Risher added. Though he thanked customers and investors among others, Risher did not say what would happen to Impermium's current customers.
It is also not clear whether Google has acquired the company for its technology or staff, a trend known popularly as "'acqui-hiring." A number of technology companies have acquired startups mainly to add talented engineers to their staff. Google confirmed the acquisition but did not disclose terms of the deal.
On Twitter, Bradley Horowitz, Google's vice president of product for Google+, welcomed Risher and the Impermium team to Google. On his Google+ page, Horowitz wrote that Google's spam and abuse teams are industry-leading and world-class. "Impermium should fit right in," he added.
Impermium defended its customers against account hacking, account compromise, and other threats. The company claimed that its system used "patented statistical and machine learning models and proprietary threat intelligence from more than 1,500,000 worldwide sites to provide real-time protection for top enterprises around the globe."
Google announced earlier this week that it was paying US$3.2 billion in cash to acquire Nest, a maker of smart smoke alarms and thermostats, in what is seen as a bid to expand into the connected home market.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts