Box offers 50GB for free to users who try its Apple iOS app
Users have 30 days to get the 50GB of capacity
Computerworld - Cloud storage service Box announced today it's giving away 50GB of free storage for users who try the new version of its Apple iOS app.
In order to get the 50 free gigabytes of cloud capacity, users must download the app within the next 30 days, according to the company's official blog.
"We've overhauled our app to make it super-fast, simpler to use and more immersive. The result, we believe, is the best content viewing and collaboration experience available today for your iOS device," Box wrote in the blog.
Unlike other cloud storage services that typically offer 2GB of free capacity to whet the appetites of users, such as Dropbox, Box normally offers 10 GB of free storage. Box's service was also not originally designed for consumer use. The site caters to business users with greater need for security around their data and faster data transfer rates.
Last year, Box added an Accelerator service, which provides users with 10 times faster uploads (7MB/s) than its traditional service.
Box, DropBox and other cloud storage services, such as SugarSync, Carbonite and Mozy, have been under increasing pressure from nontraditional industry behemoths, such as Microsoft with Azure, Apple with iCloud and most recently, Google with its Drive offering.
Google Drive, which launched in 2012, undercut competitors' prices and shook the industry to its core, offering 5GB of free capacity and allowing an upgrade to 25GB for $2.49 a month.
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Review: Box beats Dropbox - and all the rest - for business Box trumps Dropbox, Engyte, Citrix ShareFile, EMC Syncplicity, and OwnCloud with rich mix of file sync, file sharing, user management, deep reporting and...
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Cloud Storage White Papers |