Chrome feature cuts mobile data used by up to half, Google says
The new versions of Chrome for Mobile will be available in the next few days
IDG News Service - Google is adding a feature to its Chrome mobile browser that can reduce data usage by up to 50 percent, which could avoid extra data charges from carriers.
The feature, which manages bandwidth and compresses data, will be in Chrome for Android and iOS, wrote Matt Welsh, a Google software engineer, on a company blog.
Chrome will have a setting called "bandwidth management" with a selection "reduce data usage" which can be toggled on. The interface will also show how much bandwidth has been saved, Welsh wrote.
More than a fifth of adult smartphone users do most of their browsing on a smartphone, he wrote.
Google is introducing a couple of other features to Chrome. Google Translate will be integrated into Chrome for iOS, which will let iPhone and iPad users translate Web pages with a button.
The Android version of Chrome will now let users create shortcuts to websites from the homescreen, Welsh wrote. The selection to add a shortcut will be in the toolbar menu.
"For certain websites, the shortcut will open in a full-screen experience and appear as a separate app in the Android app switcher," he wrote.
The updated Chrome versions will be rolled out in Google's Play store and Apple's store in the next few days.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!