Chrome feature cuts mobile data used by up to half, Google says
The new versions of Chrome for Mobile will be available in the next few days
IDG News Service - Google is adding a feature to its Chrome mobile browser that can reduce data usage by up to 50 percent, which could avoid extra data charges from carriers.
The feature, which manages bandwidth and compresses data, will be in Chrome for Android and iOS, wrote Matt Welsh, a Google software engineer, on a company blog.
Chrome will have a setting called "bandwidth management" with a selection "reduce data usage" which can be toggled on. The interface will also show how much bandwidth has been saved, Welsh wrote.
More than a fifth of adult smartphone users do most of their browsing on a smartphone, he wrote.
Google is introducing a couple of other features to Chrome. Google Translate will be integrated into Chrome for iOS, which will let iPhone and iPad users translate Web pages with a button.
The Android version of Chrome will now let users create shortcuts to websites from the homescreen, Welsh wrote. The selection to add a shortcut will be in the toolbar menu.
"For certain websites, the shortcut will open in a full-screen experience and appear as a separate app in the Android app switcher," he wrote.
The updated Chrome versions will be rolled out in Google's Play store and Apple's store in the next few days.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Vehicles Best Practices Installation Guide With the Vehicle Best Practices Installation Guide you will learn the background on the problems and solutions as well as guidance for the...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts