Chrome feature cuts mobile data used by up to half, Google says
The new versions of Chrome for Mobile will be available in the next few days
IDG News Service - Google is adding a feature to its Chrome mobile browser that can reduce data usage by up to 50 percent, which could avoid extra data charges from carriers.
The feature, which manages bandwidth and compresses data, will be in Chrome for Android and iOS, wrote Matt Welsh, a Google software engineer, on a company blog.
Chrome will have a setting called "bandwidth management" with a selection "reduce data usage" which can be toggled on. The interface will also show how much bandwidth has been saved, Welsh wrote.
More than a fifth of adult smartphone users do most of their browsing on a smartphone, he wrote.
Google is introducing a couple of other features to Chrome. Google Translate will be integrated into Chrome for iOS, which will let iPhone and iPad users translate Web pages with a button.
The Android version of Chrome will now let users create shortcuts to websites from the homescreen, Welsh wrote. The selection to add a shortcut will be in the toolbar menu.
"For certain websites, the shortcut will open in a full-screen experience and appear as a separate app in the Android app switcher," he wrote.
The updated Chrome versions will be rolled out in Google's Play store and Apple's store in the next few days.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts