Tip of the Hat: Google's Nest buy highlights tech industry changes
Focus is shifting from 'the next big thing' to improving on everyday products like smoke alarms and thermostats
Computerworld - Google's decision to pay $3.2 billion for Nest Labs, a mostly unknown maker of smart smoke alarms and thermostats, could be the start of a radical shift in the tech industry from a focus on the next big thing to improving long-used everyday products.
The devices made by Nest Labs have been mainstay home products for decades. The company didn't create anything new or exciting; it radically improved the look and capabilities of everyday products. But the results attracted Google's interest, and finally, its willingness to make Nest its second largest acquisition after the $12.5 billion it paid for Motorola's smartphone operation in 2011.
A tip of the hat to Darren Murph of BGR for an incisive take on how the acquisition shows the tech industry is changing. Startups no longer need to invent new technology, they simply have to improve what's already here.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts