Hot IT job skills in 2014: Mobile, web development and big data
Companies are also looking for workers with more traditional skills for security and quality assurance jobs
IDG News Service - Expertise in Web development, mobile development and large-scale data analysis will be much sought-after by IT hiring managers this year.
The clients of Doug Schade, principal consultant in the software technology search division at hiring firm WinterWyman, are especially interested in Web developers who know open source languages. In addition to Java skills, Ruby and Python development backgrounds are desirable, reflecting a development trend that de-emphasizes Microsoft languages, he said.
Java and .Net skills are especially valuable for Web development projects, said Jack Cullen, president of IT staffing firm Modis.
In the mobile space, experience with developing for Apple's iOS leads the way in desired backgrounds, said John Reed, senior executive director at staffing firm Robert Half Technology. There's also some demand for other platforms like Microsoft's Windows Phone, he said. Understanding how to create a site that can be easily viewed and navigated from a handheld device is just as important to employers as knowing how to develop a mobile application, he added.
Developers with Google Android experience are also sought after, said Schade.
With data analysis driving corporate spending "anyone who has experience in and around data is in a great spot right now," said Reed. This includes the standard database developer, data engineers who structure data with Hadoop and data scientists who make sense of that information.
Tech hiring in the new year will also include filling more traditional roles.
Companies may struggle to find people with software quality assurance backgrounds as they look to add those positions after cutting them during the recession. Employees who lost those jobs began new careers, reducing the pool of qualified workers, Reed said.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.