Citrix buys Framehawk to give virtual desktops a boost
Framehawk technology can boost XenApp and XenDesktop performance over Wi-Fi and cellular networks
IDG News Service - Citrix Systems has acquired Framehawk for an undisclosed sum, and will use the company's technology to improve the performance of virtual desktops and applications over wireless networks.
With the increased adoption of tablets and smartphones in enterprises, performance becomes an issue over Wi-Fi and cellular networks where access may be intermittent or poor due to congestion, high packet loss and or high latency, according to Citrix.
To mitigate such problems, Framehawk's technology will be combined with Citrix HDX in the XenApp and XenDesktop products. Citrix didn't provide any details on when that work will be finished.
Framehawk's LFP (Lightweight Framebuffer Protocol) was inspired by experiences company engineers had when working in spacecraft communications at NASA, according to Framehawk. The goal was to enable communication over 24,000 kilometers on mobile networks without the help of a customized chipset on each device, it said.
Framehawk was founded in 2008 and is based in San Francisco. The company will now become part of Citrix's Enterprise and Service Provider division.
The last couple of months have seen vendors step up their efforts to boost the use of virtual desktops and desktop-as-a service offerings, which are based on the same technology. In October VMware acquired desktop-as-a service company Desktone and in November Amazon Web Services announced WorkSpaces, a desktop-as-a service offering based on Teradici's PCoIP technology, which competes with HDX.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- 5 Reasons To Migrate From Cisco (ACE) to Riverbed Stingray ADC As you consider refreshing your legacy Cisco ACE application delivery infrastructure, consider migrating to the Riverbed® Stingray™ family of products and learn the...
- The Sky's the Limit for Eclipse Aerospace and VCE This case study highlights how Eclipse was able to unlock critical IP, support business growth, dial up or down resources without having to...
- Implementing Agile Systems Management in Cloud and Virtual Infrastructure The solution to the obstacle stopping enterprises from realizing the benefits of cloud computing- how to extend existing enterprise management applications to the...
- Maximize Efficiency in Your Virtual Environment with Converged Solutions Efficiency is the key to success in IT, especially in a virtual environment. But traditional infrastructure management and inflexible architectures can be costly...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts