Yahoo buys 'smart home screen' company Aviate
The technology organizes a person's apps based on what they're doing
IDG News Service - Yahoo has acquired Aviate, a startup that developed a technology to organize the home screen of a person's Android device based on what the user is doing.
If a person is getting into a car, for example, Aviate might push a mapping app onto the home screen. If the person is walking into a gym, Aviate would display their fitness apps.
The idea is to reduce the time that people spend skimming through apps. The technology uses a device's GPS, Wi-Fi, accelerometer and other signals to figure out what apps to show.
CEO Marissa Mayer announced the acquisition in a speech at the International CES in Las Vegas on Tuesday.
Aviate is still in private beta, but Yahoo said it would open it up to the first 25,000 people who sign up for it with a code provided here.
The acquisition fits with Mayer's strategy of making Yahoo's services fit more conveniently into people's daily lives. It also gels with the current emphasis on "contextual" computing.
"We envision homescreens becoming smarter, more personalized, aware of your context. Aviate helps us bring this vision to life," Yahoo said in a blog post.
The company didn't say how much it paid for Aviate, which said in its own blog post that Aviate "isn't going anywhere."
Mayer was joined at CES by cast members from "Saturday Night Live"'s Weekend Update, who helped her launch a new app called Yahoo News Digest.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts