Yahoo buys 'smart home screen' company Aviate
The technology organizes a person's apps based on what they're doing
IDG News Service - Yahoo has acquired Aviate, a startup that developed a technology to organize the home screen of a person's Android device based on what the user is doing.
If a person is getting into a car, for example, Aviate might push a mapping app onto the home screen. If the person is walking into a gym, Aviate would display their fitness apps.
The idea is to reduce the time that people spend skimming through apps. The technology uses a device's GPS, Wi-Fi, accelerometer and other signals to figure out what apps to show.
CEO Marissa Mayer announced the acquisition in a speech at the International CES in Las Vegas on Tuesday.
Aviate is still in private beta, but Yahoo said it would open it up to the first 25,000 people who sign up for it with a code provided here.
The acquisition fits with Mayer's strategy of making Yahoo's services fit more conveniently into people's daily lives. It also gels with the current emphasis on "contextual" computing.
"We envision homescreens becoming smarter, more personalized, aware of your context. Aviate helps us bring this vision to life," Yahoo said in a blog post.
The company didn't say how much it paid for Aviate, which said in its own blog post that Aviate "isn't going anywhere."
Mayer was joined at CES by cast members from "Saturday Night Live"'s Weekend Update, who helped her launch a new app called Yahoo News Digest.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts