Sony plans 4K short-throw laser projector
Launching this summer for up to $40,000, the projector can create virtual windows
IDG News Service - Sony will launch a laser projector that can turn your living room wall into a giant, 147-inch 4K display with ultra high definition.
The 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector, available in the U.S. by mid-2014 for $30,000 to $40,000, is being shown at International CES after Sony President and CEO Kaz Hirai announced the gadget in a keynote speech on Tuesday.
The device, 110 centimeters (43 inches) long, sits next to a wall and resembles a piece of furniture like a low cabinet. The demo unit projected 4K Ultra HD images by firing a laser diode at a wall made of standard drywall, playing back clips of the 2013 science-fiction film "Elysium" in eye-popping quality.
The projector has a resolution of 4096 by 2160 pixels and a light output of 2,000 lumens, and it can cast images from 66 to 147 inches in size.
Aside from playing TV, online video, movies and other 4K content, the projector can be used to create a kind of virtual window.
"This state-of-the-art device can be placed anywhere in the home, turning the environment into a dynamic living space," Hirai said in his keynote address. "Normal walls will become fluid displays."
"You can create a window with a view of the outside which transitions throughout the day, or you could turn your favorite movie scenes into wall art, with gradual transitions bringing mood and atmosphere to the places where you live and work."
Hirai described how the projector turned part of his office at Sony's Tokyo headquarters into a 4K-resolution virtual window into Ginza, a posh shopping district in the Japanese capital, via a live stream video link.
"Imagine being an avid surfer and having the perfect wall-sized window to see the world's best surf spots vividly in real time in your living room," Hirai added. "Or perhaps you can't make the concert tonight. Now, you and your friends can have a private skybox view."
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Aberdeen: Securing the Evolving Datacenter This report highlights ways security technologies and services are evolving to provide the visibility and control needed to deploy workloads flexibly in the...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts