GlobalFoundries names former Motorola Mobility chief as CEO
Sanjay Jha's remit will include moving its Malta, New York, facility to 14nm technology
IDG News Service - GlobalFoundries, a contract chip manufacturer that works closely with semiconductor companies, appointed former Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha as its chief executive Monday.
Jha replaces Ajit Manocha, who will return to a shareholder adviser role he held before being appointed as CEO in mid-2011, according to a news release.
GlobalFoundries, which has 13,000 employees, was founded in 2009 as a partnership between Advanced Micro Devices and the Advanced Technology Investment Company (ATIC). Its development partners include IBM, Renesas, STMicroelectronics, Samsung and Toshiba. AMD shed its stake in the company in 2012 to focus on design, and GlobalFoundries is now fully owned by ATIC, which is a part of the Abu Dhabi government's Mubadala Development investment arm.
Based in Silicon Valley, GlobalFoundries has manufacturing facilities in Dresden, Germany; Malta, New York; and Singapore. Jha's duties will include fitting the Malta facility to accommodate 14 nanometer technology as chipmakers push to make chips with ever smaller transistors. The company also has plans to upgrade its facilities in Singapore and Germany, it said.
Smaller transistors mean faster and more power-efficient chips, but the industry is expecting challenges in engineering chips to meet Moore's Law, which predicts that the number of transistors that can be placed on silicon doubles every two years.
This year GlobalFoundries expects to produce 2.3 million 300mm wafers, with transistors ranging in size from 130nm to 28nm, according to its website.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Processors White Papers | Webcasts