AT&T expands smart car role
Announces PadFone X and LG G Flex
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- AT&T, making sure that auto makers don't get all the credit for the smart cars of the future, called attention to AT&T's wireless network that will connect cars to powerful apps, content and data on distant servers.
Many of the world's major auto makers are expected to show in-car apps at this week's International CES trade show. AT&T separately announced AT&T Drive, a modular computing platform for car makers to customize their own apps.
AT&T also opened its Drive Studio, a 5,000-square-foot facility in Atlanta that will use garage bays to conduct research on apps and to help show car-based apps from multiple companies.
AT&T has previously made inroads with connected home innovations and with previous telematics announcements and it sees the automobile as another wireless network element.
"We view the car as a smartphone on wheels," said Glenn Lurie, AT&T's president of emerging enterprises, in comments at the AT&T Developer Summit here. "There will be 4G hotspots in the car, with all the content when and where and how I want it."
Cloud provider Synchronoss Technologies will provide a simple activation process for AT&T Drive and the Drive Studio.
Adds Asus Padfone X, LG G Flex
Also Monday, AT&T announced it will be the exclusive provider of the Asus Padfone X, a 5-in., high-definition smartphone that docks with a 9-in. HD tablet. The device will ship mid-year although pricing hasn't been announced.
AT&T will also join other U.S. carriers to offer the LG G Flex smartphone with its curved 6-in. OLED display that's being shown at CES. The device went on sale in November in South Korea and is expected to hit AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile sometime in the first quarter. It features a 2.26 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor, and a 13-megapixel rear camera with a 2.1 megapixel front camera.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
- Open source challenges a proprietary Internet of Things
- How to build the perfect smartwatch
- The fuss over Samsung's Magazine UX is all about fragmentation
- As wearable devices hit the market, apps are sure to follow
- Sweet! Your next Hershey's Kiss may be 3D printed
- Three big trends converge at CES
- Intel to scrap McAfee name, give away mobile security tools
- At CES, tablets get bigger screens, dual OSes and even car access
- This robotic camera can take the ultimate video selfie
- Innovation in wearable tech could come from do-it-yourselfers
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Delivering Enterprise Information Securely on tablets & smartphones
A technical how-to guide-updated for Android 4.2,iOS 6.1, and Windows
Phone and Surface 8
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts