Oracle thinks global with its social media analysis software
Oracle's tools can now analyze social content in more languages
IDG News Service - Oracle has broadened the number of languages its social media analysis software supports, in a bid to appeal to enterprises with operations and customers across the world.
The vendor's Social Relationship Management software now has support for English, Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Korean and Japanese, according to Monday's announcement.
SRM is part of the company's broader suite of "customer experience" software that spans sales automation, customer service, marketing and support. It competes in this area not only with frequent rival SAP but also Adobe and IBM, companies that have largely eschewed the enterprise applications market but see an opportunity in technologies that cater to digital business.
Oracle's SRM software includes semantic text analysis capabilities that "go well beyond keyword and Boolean to reveal actionable insights like consumer intent, product likes/dislikes, and customer service issues," according to Monday's announcement.
Other new features include a dashboard that gives users the ability "to see where conversations are happening globally, and allocate workload accordingly," Oracle said.
There are two main categories of social media monitoring tools, said analyst Alan Lepofsky, vice president and principal analyst at Constellation Research: "Those that can help an individual brand monitor and respond to content related to them, and then tools that can analyze larger sets of data, such as shopping patterns on holidays."
One of the most important functions is accurately matching a person posting on social media to actual customer records that show their buying or support history, Lepofksy added.
Oracle's acquisitions of RightNow, Vitrue, Collective Intellect, Evolver, Eloqua and Responsys are an attempt to give it a portfolio that can help companies connect with customers through the entire buying cycle, Lepofsky said.
Many companies could now be ready to invest in social media analysis tools.
"I think most organizations are past the 'thinking about social media' stage in terms of sales, marketing and support," Lepofsky said. "Social media as a channel is influencing many organizations to combine their digital strategy across multiple departments that used to operate more independently."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Social Media White Papers |