NSA critic Bruce Schneier joins security firm Co3 as CTO
Privacy specialist says new job won't prevent him from commenting on issues like NSA revelations
Network World - The network security industry's legendary free thinker Bruce Schneier Monday said he's taken a job as CTO at Co3 Systems, but that this in no way will curtail his determination to speak and write candidly on important topics such as the National Security Agency's (NSA) practices.
"I would never have taken the job otherwise," said Schneier, who recently left his position as futurologist at BT at the end of December. "I have to be able to write about the NSA."
+ Also on NetworkWorld: Anonymous engineers claim BT gives backdoor to spies +A
Over the past decade, Schneier, whose background includes expertise in cryptography, has emerged as a prominent voice on the impact of networking technology on people's lives, with his most recent book being, "Liars and Outliers."
Schneier has been fiercely critical of the NSA following revelations by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden about the agency's mass surveillance practices. Schneier says he expects to be speaking further about the NSA and other topics at a public talk he is scheduled to deliver at the RSA Conference next month.
Cambridge, Mass.-based Co3 SystemsA makes incident-response products and as CTO there, Schneier will help guide development of the company's product portfolio.
Ellen Messmer is senior editor at Network World, an IDG website, where she covers news and technology trends related to information security. Twitter: MessmerE. E-mail: email@example.com
Read more about wide area network in Network World's Wide Area Network section.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts