NSA critic Bruce Schneier joins security firm Co3 as CTO
Privacy specialist says new job won't prevent him from commenting on issues like NSA revelations
Network World - The network security industry's legendary free thinker Bruce Schneier Monday said he's taken a job as CTO at Co3 Systems, but that this in no way will curtail his determination to speak and write candidly on important topics such as the National Security Agency's (NSA) practices.
"I would never have taken the job otherwise," said Schneier, who recently left his position as futurologist at BT at the end of December. "I have to be able to write about the NSA."
+ Also on NetworkWorld: Anonymous engineers claim BT gives backdoor to spies +A
Over the past decade, Schneier, whose background includes expertise in cryptography, has emerged as a prominent voice on the impact of networking technology on people's lives, with his most recent book being, "Liars and Outliers."
Schneier has been fiercely critical of the NSA following revelations by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden about the agency's mass surveillance practices. Schneier says he expects to be speaking further about the NSA and other topics at a public talk he is scheduled to deliver at the RSA Conference next month.
Cambridge, Mass.-based Co3 SystemsA makes incident-response products and as CTO there, Schneier will help guide development of the company's product portfolio.
Ellen Messmer is senior editor at Network World, an IDG website, where she covers news and technology trends related to information security. Twitter: MessmerE. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more about wide area network in Network World's Wide Area Network section.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts