Acer's $1,100 Android all-in-one shows stunning visuals
Acer's TA272 HUL all-in-one has a 27-inch touch display with a 2560 x 1440 pixel resolution
IDG News Service - Acer's going beyond conventional high-definition with its latest all-in-one PC, which at a list price of $1,099.99, is one of the most expensive Android devices available.
The Acer TA272 HUL has a 27-inch touch display that can show images at a 2560 x 1440-pixel resolution. The monitor has HDMI, DisplayPort and USB 3.0 ports.
There are a handful of Android all-in-ones available today, but at $1,100, Acer's new model is the most expensive. HP's Slate 21, which has a 21.5-inch screen with a 1920 x 1080-pixel resolution, is priced at $399, while Acer's DA241HL, which has a 24-inch screen, is priced at APS450 (US$742) on Amazon.com's UK retail site. Acer did not immediately provide availability information for the TA272.
The new Acer PC has Android 4.2, Nvidia's Tegra quad-core processor, 16GB of storage, a two-megapixel webcam and 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi.
Android all-in-ones are aimed at users who do most of their computing on the Web and are familiar with the Android OS interface on mobile devices. Users will be able to sync with other devices to share files through Acer's Build Your Own Cloud service, the company said.
But questions remain as to whether the high-resolution screen will make a difference. Most Android apps are designed for lower resolutions, and streaming services like Netflix are still transitioning to 1080p video.
The all-in-one will be shown next week at the International CES trade show in Las Vegas, where there will be a big focus on 4K devices and content.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts