Acer's $1,100 Android all-in-one shows stunning visuals
Acer's TA272 HUL all-in-one has a 27-inch touch display with a 2560 x 1440 pixel resolution
IDG News Service - Acer's going beyond conventional high-definition with its latest all-in-one PC, which at a list price of $1,099.99, is one of the most expensive Android devices available.
The Acer TA272 HUL has a 27-inch touch display that can show images at a 2560 x 1440-pixel resolution. The monitor has HDMI, DisplayPort and USB 3.0 ports.
There are a handful of Android all-in-ones available today, but at $1,100, Acer's new model is the most expensive. HP's Slate 21, which has a 21.5-inch screen with a 1920 x 1080-pixel resolution, is priced at $399, while Acer's DA241HL, which has a 24-inch screen, is priced at APS450 (US$742) on Amazon.com's UK retail site. Acer did not immediately provide availability information for the TA272.
The new Acer PC has Android 4.2, Nvidia's Tegra quad-core processor, 16GB of storage, a two-megapixel webcam and 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi.
Android all-in-ones are aimed at users who do most of their computing on the Web and are familiar with the Android OS interface on mobile devices. Users will be able to sync with other devices to share files through Acer's Build Your Own Cloud service, the company said.
But questions remain as to whether the high-resolution screen will make a difference. Most Android apps are designed for lower resolutions, and streaming services like Netflix are still transitioning to 1080p video.
The all-in-one will be shown next week at the International CES trade show in Las Vegas, where there will be a big focus on 4K devices and content.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!