Seagate offers disk 'rescue' service through Staples, releases 4TB portable drive
Seagate also announced a new 2TB slim drive
Computerworld - Seagate on Sunday announced that its recently launched service that guarantees to replace any broken hard drive and recover the data that was on it will be sold through more than 1,500 Staple stores.
The company also announced two new portable disk drives, its first 4TB drive and a 2TB drive that the company claims is the thinnest on the market.
In September, Seagate launched its data recovery service, Seagate Rescue and Replace, through retailers. NCIX, a Canadian retailer, made the service available earlier this year. Staples is the largest retailer to roll out the service option.
The Seagate Rescue and Replace data protection plan provides a service where in the event that a disk drive is damaged or destroyed, the owner can mail in the hardware and Seagate will recover the data and send a working drive back to the customer.
Amazon was initially the only retailer offering Seagate's Rescue and Replace service, but Amazon's offer only covered data and replacement for new external storage. Now that the service is being expanded to Staples, a consumer can purchase the data protection plan for an internal drive or SSD in a laptop or desktop system.
The Seagate Rescue service retails for laptop and desktop computers starting at $49.99 for a two-year plan. External drives start at $29.99 for a two-year plan.
NCIX debuted the plan with a retail price of $69.99 (CDN) for both laptop and desktop, as well as a three-year plan for computers for $89.99. The external storage protection plan has a retail price of $39.99 (CDN) for two years and $49.99 (CDN) for three years.
Seagate's highest capacity portable drive
Seagate also announced its first 4TB mobile drive, the Seagate Backup Plus FAST drive.
The Backup Plus FAST portable drive boasts twice the capacity and speed of other external portable drives and sports a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 interface to deliver transfer speeds of up to 220MBps.
"The performance and capacity of this new portable drive is beyond that of any other external offering to date. We believe that the Backup Plus FAST drive will be widely adopted by creative professionals as the go-to back up device for the field," Scott Horn, Seagate's vice president of global marketing, said in a statement.
The metal top-case of the Backup Plus FAST drive is resistant to scratches and fingerprints, the company said. It needs no external power supply and is compact enough to fit easily in a camera bag or backpack while delivering the same or higher capacity of other desktop drives. The drive is configured as RAID 0, which stripes the data across both internal drives increasing the volume capacity and transfer speed.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts