Seagate offers disk 'rescue' service through Staples, releases 4TB portable drive
Seagate also announced a new 2TB slim drive
Computerworld - Seagate on Sunday announced that its recently launched service that guarantees to replace any broken hard drive and recover the data that was on it will be sold through more than 1,500 Staple stores.
The company also announced two new portable disk drives, its first 4TB drive and a 2TB drive that the company claims is the thinnest on the market.
In September, Seagate launched its data recovery service, Seagate Rescue and Replace, through retailers. NCIX, a Canadian retailer, made the service available earlier this year. Staples is the largest retailer to roll out the service option.
The Seagate Rescue and Replace data protection plan provides a service where in the event that a disk drive is damaged or destroyed, the owner can mail in the hardware and Seagate will recover the data and send a working drive back to the customer.
Amazon was initially the only retailer offering Seagate's Rescue and Replace service, but Amazon's offer only covered data and replacement for new external storage. Now that the service is being expanded to Staples, a consumer can purchase the data protection plan for an internal drive or SSD in a laptop or desktop system.
The Seagate Rescue service retails for laptop and desktop computers starting at $49.99 for a two-year plan. External drives start at $29.99 for a two-year plan.
NCIX debuted the plan with a retail price of $69.99 (CDN) for both laptop and desktop, as well as a three-year plan for computers for $89.99. The external storage protection plan has a retail price of $39.99 (CDN) for two years and $49.99 (CDN) for three years.
Seagate's highest capacity portable drive
Seagate also announced its first 4TB mobile drive, the Seagate Backup Plus FAST drive.
The Backup Plus FAST portable drive boasts twice the capacity and speed of other external portable drives and sports a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 interface to deliver transfer speeds of up to 220MBps.
"The performance and capacity of this new portable drive is beyond that of any other external offering to date. We believe that the Backup Plus FAST drive will be widely adopted by creative professionals as the go-to back up device for the field," Scott Horn, Seagate's vice president of global marketing, said in a statement.
The metal top-case of the Backup Plus FAST drive is resistant to scratches and fingerprints, the company said. It needs no external power supply and is compact enough to fit easily in a camera bag or backpack while delivering the same or higher capacity of other desktop drives. The drive is configured as RAID 0, which stripes the data across both internal drives increasing the volume capacity and transfer speed.
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- CrashPlan PROe Security Because mobile laptops often are connected to unsecured networks, a very high standard of security is required to ensure privacy.
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts