Archos to unveil $200 LTE smartphone at CES
The company is working with Qualcomm to cut the cost of 4G products
IDG News Service - Archos is showing two low-cost Android-based smartphones next week at the International CES trade show, including the 45 Helium 4G, which is priced at $200 without a contract.
One of the major smartphone trends this year is expected to be the emergence of cheaper smartphones with LTE, which is something products like the Motorola Moto G and Nokia Lumia 520 today lack. The key is the availability of cheaper components from vendors such as Qualcomm and MediaTek.
The Archos 45 Helium 4G is one example of this development. It has a 4.5-inch screen and is powered by 1.4 GHz quad-core processor. The LTE connection is on paper capable of download speeds at up to 150M bps. But to get the cost down to $200, Archos also had to make some sacrifices: there is only 1GB of RAM, 4GB of integrated storage and the screen resolution is 854 by 480 pixels. The 45 Helium 4G also has a 5-megapixel camera.
The French company's second new LTE smartphone, the 50 Helium 4G, costs $250. At that price, users get a 5-inch screen with 1280 x 720 pixel resolution, 8GB of storage and an 8-megapixel camera. The processor is the same and there is still 1GB of RAM.
To make up for the lack of integrated storage, the two phones have a MicroSD card slot. Both models also run Android 4.3, but can be upgraded to version 4.4 of Google's operating system.
Archos didn't offer any details on when and where the two smartphones would be available, but said the goal is to jointly engineer and launch affordable 4G products worldwide with Qualcomm.
At CES, Archos will also show smartwatches that cost under $100 and an Android tablet specially designed for home automation.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>> All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts