Archos to unveil $200 LTE smartphone at CES
The company is working with Qualcomm to cut the cost of 4G products
IDG News Service - Archos is showing two low-cost Android-based smartphones next week at the International CES trade show, including the 45 Helium 4G, which is priced at $200 without a contract.
One of the major smartphone trends this year is expected to be the emergence of cheaper smartphones with LTE, which is something products like the Motorola Moto G and Nokia Lumia 520 today lack. The key is the availability of cheaper components from vendors such as Qualcomm and MediaTek.
The Archos 45 Helium 4G is one example of this development. It has a 4.5-inch screen and is powered by 1.4 GHz quad-core processor. The LTE connection is on paper capable of download speeds at up to 150M bps. But to get the cost down to $200, Archos also had to make some sacrifices: there is only 1GB of RAM, 4GB of integrated storage and the screen resolution is 854 by 480 pixels. The 45 Helium 4G also has a 5-megapixel camera.
The French company's second new LTE smartphone, the 50 Helium 4G, costs $250. At that price, users get a 5-inch screen with 1280 x 720 pixel resolution, 8GB of storage and an 8-megapixel camera. The processor is the same and there is still 1GB of RAM.
To make up for the lack of integrated storage, the two phones have a MicroSD card slot. Both models also run Android 4.3, but can be upgraded to version 4.4 of Google's operating system.
Archos didn't offer any details on when and where the two smartphones would be available, but said the goal is to jointly engineer and launch affordable 4G products worldwide with Qualcomm.
At CES, Archos will also show smartwatches that cost under $100 and an Android tablet specially designed for home automation.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!