MediaTek to demo chipsets for LTE, wearables and 4K TVs at CES
Company says is new LTE modem can help lower the cost of LTE smartphones
IDG News Service - MediaTek is planning to show off its latest chipsets for LTE smartphones with wireless charging, wearables and 4K TVs at the International CES trade show in Las Vegas next week.
The Taiwanese company is probably best known for powering low-end smartphones, but its portfolio is much bigger than that, which it aims to show at CES.
The company's LTE modem, the MT6290, is expected to help drive down the cost of LTE smartphones. For the technology to become truly widespread, there must be products that are priced reasonably, MediaTek said earlier this year.
The company will also debut a wireless charging SoC (system-on-a-chip) based on the Qi standard.
Chip makers, like most mobile device vendors, are pushing wearables, including smartwatches. MediaTek will present Aster, an "all-in-one" SoC for wearables, at CES. Aster combines a small size with a comprehensive application framework, according to the company. The size and the availability of apps are likely to be key to the success of a product in the wearables sector.
Another hot trend at this year's CES will be 4K TVs, a market which MediaTek also wants to address. The company is working on a chip that is compatible with the HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) compression technology and will become available in small volumes during the second quarter.
HEVC is a key part of the distribution of 4K content, because it makes the amount of bandwidth produced by the high resolution image more manageable.
The company will present more details about the LTE modem and its new SoCs when CES starts on Jan. 7.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Processors White Papers |