MediaTek to demo chipsets for LTE, wearables and 4K TVs at CES
Company says is new LTE modem can help lower the cost of LTE smartphones
IDG News Service - MediaTek is planning to show off its latest chipsets for LTE smartphones with wireless charging, wearables and 4K TVs at the International CES trade show in Las Vegas next week.
The Taiwanese company is probably best known for powering low-end smartphones, but its portfolio is much bigger than that, which it aims to show at CES.
The company's LTE modem, the MT6290, is expected to help drive down the cost of LTE smartphones. For the technology to become truly widespread, there must be products that are priced reasonably, MediaTek said earlier this year.
The company will also debut a wireless charging SoC (system-on-a-chip) based on the Qi standard.
Chip makers, like most mobile device vendors, are pushing wearables, including smartwatches. MediaTek will present Aster, an "all-in-one" SoC for wearables, at CES. Aster combines a small size with a comprehensive application framework, according to the company. The size and the availability of apps are likely to be key to the success of a product in the wearables sector.
Another hot trend at this year's CES will be 4K TVs, a market which MediaTek also wants to address. The company is working on a chip that is compatible with the HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) compression technology and will become available in small volumes during the second quarter.
HEVC is a key part of the distribution of 4K content, because it makes the amount of bandwidth produced by the high resolution image more manageable.
The company will present more details about the LTE modem and its new SoCs when CES starts on Jan. 7.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Processors White Papers | Webcasts