Follow the Money: CIOs Have Nothing to Fear From CMOs
CIO - If chief marketing officers are really going to end up with larger IT budgets than CIOs by 2017 (as Gartner predicted early last year), a lot would have to change--and almost overnight. Why? Because corporate IT still controls 71 percent of IT budgets in the U.S., and that number will hold steady over the next three years, according to our 13th annual State of the CIO research (see " State of the CIO 2014: The Great Schism"). That research reflects the latest insights from 722 top IT executives.
We've also seen in other research here at IDG Enterprise (the parent company of CIO magazine) that a mere 7 percent of IT organizations use a decentralized organizational structure, versus 65 percent centralized and 27 percent federated. If the CIO's budget control were truly shifting away, wouldn't we be seeing far more decentralized IT departments?
One of the strongest indicators of rising CIO influence that cropped up in our State of the CIO research was that nearly half of you (44 percent) are reporting directly to CEOs, and that number jumped by 5 percentage points over last year's results. That tells me that as technology moves to the center of business--driving greater innovation and competitive advantage--the CIO remains the best choice to be in charge of IT spending.
Certainly, the individual business units at most companies today are more tech savvy than ever. The quest to pull customer and market insights out of big data, using sophisticated and user-friendly online marketing tools, absolutely has IT spending on the rise in many marketing operations. Yet that's a far cry from handling the lion's share of any company's IT budget, which includes responsibility for vendor negotiations, security and risk management, integration and systems management, and myriad other enterprise IT complexities.
The best news of all from our State of the CIO research is that one-third (34 percent) of IT leaders are spending more of their time as business strategists than technologists. That means engaging in activities that drive business innovation, identify opportunities for competitive advantage and track market trends or customer needs. The number of business strategists has tripled since 2011, when it was just 11 percent of our respondents.
So whenever I hear that aging Gartner prediction about CMOs and IT budgets these days, I have to wonder what they're smoking over there. It's clear that CIOs and their CEOs aren't inhaling.
Read more about budget in CIO's Budget Drilldown.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts