ARM gets boost from Apple-China Mobile iPhone deal
Shares in ARM rose 2.5% on Monday morning because ARM chips are used in Apple iPhones
Techworld.com - UK chip-designer ARM today emerged as one of the companies set to get a boost from the deal that Apple signed with China Mobile last night, which will see the Californian tech giant's iPhone 5S and 5C go on sale to nearly a billion customers.
Shares in the Cambridge-based company rose 2.5% on Monday morning because ARM's technology can be found in every single iPhone. ARM licenses the intellectual property for its chip designs to manufacturers and receives royalties for doing so.
Marc Kimsey, senior trader at Accendo Markets, said the UK chip architect is poised to benefit from the deal. "[China Mobile] boasts more than 750 million subscribers; put into context, the entire US population consists of 'just' 318 million. With ARM technology in every Apple handset, the potential is obvious. Expect to see Apple's 5% share of the $80 billion Chinese smartphone market increase significantly in 2014," he said in a note.
Apple already sells its phones in China through China Telecom and China Unicom, but a deal with China Mobile, the largest carrier in the country, had eluded it for some time. One reason is that China Mobile uses a different wireless telecommunications standard from its competitors.
On a similar note, the ARM's shares rose 4.5% in September when Apple announced its flagship smartphone, the iPhone 5S, would be built on ARM's technology.
ARM told Techworld earlier this year that its chip architecture can be found in 90% of mobile devices around the world.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Processors White Papers | Webcasts