How to track Santa's big trip with NORAD, Google
Keep track of Chris Kringle's journey with Google Earth, apps and NORAD Santa Tracker
Computerworld - As Santa Claus and his elves prepare for their biggest night of the year, NORAD and Google are getting ready to track his big Christmas Eve ride.
Volunteers at NORAD, or the North American Aerospace Defense Command, report that they're prepped and ready to go at the Tracks Santa Operations Center in Colorado Springs.
The annual tracking program, which began in 1958 and went online in 1998, started at 2 a.m. ET today. Users can go to the NORAD web site to watch, via NORAD's Santa cam, as St. Nick gets ready for his ride and then takes off to make his way around the globe. They also can speak with a live phone operator to ask about Santa's whereabouts by dialing the toll-free number for the Santa Holiday Hotline: 1-877-Hi-NORAD (1-877-446-6723).
Visitors also can message NORAD for an update on Santa by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NORAD has some company when it comes to tracking Santa. Google enabled its users to track Santa's toy-giving ride on Google Earth.
"All of the action will be tracked on the official Santa Tracker site ," the company wrote in a blog post. "To follow Santa while you're on the go, there is a Santa Tracker app available for Android, which gives you easy mobile access to track his journey.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts