How to track Santa's big trip with NORAD, Google
Keep track of Chris Kringle's journey with Google Earth, apps and NORAD Santa Tracker
Computerworld - As Santa Claus and his elves prepare for their biggest night of the year, NORAD and Google are getting ready to track his big Christmas Eve ride.
Volunteers at NORAD, or the North American Aerospace Defense Command, report that they're prepped and ready to go at the Tracks Santa Operations Center in Colorado Springs.
The annual tracking program, which began in 1958 and went online in 1998, started at 2 a.m. ET today. Users can go to the NORAD web site to watch, via NORAD's Santa cam, as St. Nick gets ready for his ride and then takes off to make his way around the globe. They also can speak with a live phone operator to ask about Santa's whereabouts by dialing the toll-free number for the Santa Holiday Hotline: 1-877-Hi-NORAD (1-877-446-6723).
Visitors also can message NORAD for an update on Santa by sending an email to email@example.com.
NORAD has some company when it comes to tracking Santa. Google enabled its users to track Santa's toy-giving ride on Google Earth.
"All of the action will be tracked on the official Santa Tracker site ," the company wrote in a blog post. "To follow Santa while you're on the go, there is a Santa Tracker app available for Android, which gives you easy mobile access to track his journey.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever. All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts