How to track Santa's big trip with NORAD, Google
Keep track of Chris Kringle's journey with Google Earth, apps and NORAD Santa Tracker
Computerworld - As Santa Claus and his elves prepare for their biggest night of the year, NORAD and Google are getting ready to track his big Christmas Eve ride.
Volunteers at NORAD, or the North American Aerospace Defense Command, report that they're prepped and ready to go at the Tracks Santa Operations Center in Colorado Springs.
The annual tracking program, which began in 1958 and went online in 1998, started at 2 a.m. ET today. Users can go to the NORAD web site to watch, via NORAD's Santa cam, as St. Nick gets ready for his ride and then takes off to make his way around the globe. They also can speak with a live phone operator to ask about Santa's whereabouts by dialing the toll-free number for the Santa Holiday Hotline: 1-877-Hi-NORAD (1-877-446-6723).
Visitors also can message NORAD for an update on Santa by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NORAD has some company when it comes to tracking Santa. Google enabled its users to track Santa's toy-giving ride on Google Earth.
"All of the action will be tracked on the official Santa Tracker site ," the company wrote in a blog post. "To follow Santa while you're on the go, there is a Santa Tracker app available for Android, which gives you easy mobile access to track his journey.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts