T-Mobile hints at next step in 'un-carrier' plan
The company says you won't believe what it unveils at CES on Jan. 8
IDG News Service - T-Mobile USA looks set to reveal the next step in its "un-carrier" plan at January's CES in Las Vegas.
The No. 4 carrier sent invitations to reporters Friday for a CES press conference Jan. 8.
"This one you aren't going to believe," the invitation read over the number "4.0" in the background.
T-Mobile has been using such numbers to refer to successive iterations of its business strategy, dubbed "un-carrier" by CEO John Legere.
Legere is seeking to boost T-Mobile's share of the U.S. market by attempting to woo customers with pricing and services that are different from its bigger competitors: AT&T, Verizon and Sprint.
So far, the company has simplified pricing plans, done away with phone subsidies, begun offering free international data roaming over 2G networks and said it will offer 200MB of data per month over its 4G LTE network at no charge to tablet PC users who sign up for a Mobile Internet account.
No further details of the company's CES announcement were immediately available.
In the last week, several news reports said number-three carrier Sprint is considering an acquisition of T-Mobile USA. Sprint was acquired itself earlier this year by Japan's SoftBank.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts