Transparent solar cells could turn windows into generators
Researchers implant square photovoltaic 'islands' into glass
Computerworld - Oxford University researchers believe neutral-colored, semi-transparent solar cells could be used in building and car windows to generate electricity.
In a newly released report (fee charged), the researchers stated that use of a thin film of a mineral called perovskite could form see-through, flat solar cells with comparatively high efficiencies. Perovskite is an oxide used in ceramic superconductors.
The thin-film photovoltaics are dispersed like "islands" throughout the glass and are small enough "to appear continuous to the eye yet large enough to enable unattenuated transmission of light between the islands," the researchers stated. Photovoltaic technology converts light into electrical energy.
The photovoltaic islands are also thick enough to absorb most visible light.
"Using these films, we fabricate thin-film solar cells with respectable power conversion efficiencies," the researchers said. "Remarkably, we find that such discontinuous films still have good rectification behavior and relatively high open-circuit voltages."
The scientists said they were also able to easily tint the photovoltaic arrays with colored dye and have no reduction in performance.
This article, Transparent solar cells could turn windows into generators, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Sustainable IT in Computerworld's Sustainable IT Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- 10GbE in the Data Center Improvements in 10GbE technology, lower pricing, and improved performance make 10GbE for the mid-market a viable and cost-effective strategy. This white paper discusses...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Sustainable IT White Papers | Webcasts