Transparent solar cells could turn windows into generators
Researchers implant square photovoltaic 'islands' into glass
Computerworld - Oxford University researchers believe neutral-colored, semi-transparent solar cells could be used in building and car windows to generate electricity.
In a newly released report (fee charged), the researchers stated that use of a thin film of a mineral called perovskite could form see-through, flat solar cells with comparatively high efficiencies. Perovskite is an oxide used in ceramic superconductors.
The thin-film photovoltaics are dispersed like "islands" throughout the glass and are small enough "to appear continuous to the eye yet large enough to enable unattenuated transmission of light between the islands," the researchers stated. Photovoltaic technology converts light into electrical energy.
The photovoltaic islands are also thick enough to absorb most visible light.
"Using these films, we fabricate thin-film solar cells with respectable power conversion efficiencies," the researchers said. "Remarkably, we find that such discontinuous films still have good rectification behavior and relatively high open-circuit voltages."
The scientists said they were also able to easily tint the photovoltaic arrays with colored dye and have no reduction in performance.
This article, Transparent solar cells could turn windows into generators, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Sustainable IT in Computerworld's Sustainable IT Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Sustainable IT White Papers | Webcasts