Transparent solar cells could turn windows into generators
Researchers implant square photovoltaic 'islands' into glass
Computerworld - Oxford University researchers believe neutral-colored, semi-transparent solar cells could be used in building and car windows to generate electricity.
In a newly released report (fee charged), the researchers stated that use of a thin film of a mineral called perovskite could form see-through, flat solar cells with comparatively high efficiencies. Perovskite is an oxide used in ceramic superconductors.
The thin-film photovoltaics are dispersed like "islands" throughout the glass and are small enough "to appear continuous to the eye yet large enough to enable unattenuated transmission of light between the islands," the researchers stated. Photovoltaic technology converts light into electrical energy.
The photovoltaic islands are also thick enough to absorb most visible light.
"Using these films, we fabricate thin-film solar cells with respectable power conversion efficiencies," the researchers said. "Remarkably, we find that such discontinuous films still have good rectification behavior and relatively high open-circuit voltages."
The scientists said they were also able to easily tint the photovoltaic arrays with colored dye and have no reduction in performance.
This article, Transparent solar cells could turn windows into generators, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Sustainable IT in Computerworld's Sustainable IT Topic Center.
- Implementing Energy Efficient Data Centers This paper explains how to quantify the electricity savings and provides examples of methods that can greatly reduce electrical power consumption.
- Hunter Fan Prepares for Business Growth with Vblock™ Hunter Fan turned to Vblock™ Systems, which enabled them to improve performance of BI applications by 40%, increase storage capacity from 10TB to...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Sustainable IT White Papers | Webcasts