IBM gets fast file transfers with Aspera acquisition
Aspera is one of the few technology companies that has won an Emmy
IDG News Service - Continuing to bulk up on its cloud software portfolio, IBM is acquiring Aspera, a company with an Emmy-award-winning, high-speed bulk data transfer protocol.
IBM said it will use the technology to help customers more effortlessly copy their data to IBM cloud services, building on the company's purchase of the SoftLayer cloud service in June.
The Emeryville, California-based Aspera created its technology, dubbed "fasp," to transfer large files across a public network more quickly than the speeds typically achieved through basic TCP (transmission control protocol).
IBM claims fasp can cut the time required to send a 24GB file around the globe from 26 hours to less than a minute. Aspera also has software for encrypting files before they are sent over a network, for secure transmission.
One heavy user of Aspera's technology has been the entertainment industry. Television networks, movie studios and animation houses use the protocol to send large digital video files from one location to another.
The company even won an Emmy for fasp, in the category of Outstanding Achievement in Engineering Development.
IBM will use Aspera's technology in a number of its offerings. Customers of the company's SmartCloud products and services can use fasp to speed transfers of large data sets to the cloud. The software will also be added to IBM's Smarter Commerce portfolio to give businesses additional controls around its business-to-business file transfers.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed. IBM plans to complete the purchase by early 2014, if all the customary closing conditions are completed.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Cloud Storage White Papers | Webcasts