NSA task force wants major changes in surveillance
Recommendations from the White House panel will include taking the phone records database away from the NSA
IDG News Service - A U.S. National Security Agency surveillance review board report, to be released Wednesday, will recommend major changes in the way the agency tracks terrorism suspects, according to news reports.
The review board, appointed by President Barack Obama, will recommend that the NSA no longer hold a huge database of U.S. telephone records collected by the NSA, according to the Washington Post. The phone records should be held by the telecom carriers or by a third party, the board recommended, according to the Post.
The White House will release the recommendations of the Review Group on Intelligence and Communications Technology Wednesday to correct recent news reports about the content of the panel's report, White House spokesman Jay Carney said during a press briefing.
Obama still believes the NSA's surveillance programs protect U.S. security, Carney said. "His priority remains the safety and security of the American people," Carney said.
Still, Obama is open to looking at new ways to conduct surveillance programs, Carney said. The NSA surveillance programs have come under public scrutiny after former NSA contractor Edward Snowden leaked documents earlier this year.
This week, Judge Richard Leon of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, issued an opinion saying the NSA's phone records collection program likely violates the U.S. Constitution. The ruling came in a lawsuit filed by four U.S. residents challenging the phone records program.
The NSA task force will also recommend that the government not ask tech companies to build backdoors into their products, as has been alleged in press reports of the Snowden leaks. The panel will also recommend that the NSA not work to undermine global encryption standards, which has also been alleged.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's email address is email@example.com.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
This state transportation department uses computer science students from a local university as programming interns, and everyone is happy with the arrangement -- until one intern learns how to bring down the mainframe.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits
- This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage
- Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About
- As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big... All Government IT White Papers
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- All Government IT Webcasts