New app from Opera aims to help Android smartphones consume less data
The company is looking for beta testers in the US
IDG News Service - Norwegian browser company Opera Software is developing an app designed to decrease Android data consumption.
For many smartphone users around the world unlimited data usage is a thing of the past, but Opera wants to make limited data plans last longer with a new app called Max. Once the app is enabled, all non-encrypted data sent using HTTPA is forwarded to the company's compression servers, which then optimize videos, images, and websites to use less data, according to Opera.
The amount of data saved depends on the applications used, the kind of media content users access and ofA course how much data a user consumes, according to Opera. The company won't be able to help Facebook addicts, because Facebook encrypts its traffic. But an image of the user interface shows how Max can decrease the amount of data used by other popular apps, including Chrome, the Google Play Store, Vine and Instagram.
Right now Opera is looking for beta testers in the U.S. that have smartphones running Android version 4.0, also called Ice Cream Sandwich, or later versions of the Google operating system.
"If youA wantA more control over howA much data you use and if you're curious about which apps are hogging your data plan, then you're the tester we want," the company said on its website.A
For now Max won't be available outside the U.S. but Opera is working on expanding app compatibility and availability to other platforms and countries soon, it said.
The limited beta will available through Opera's Google+ Community page.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!