New app from Opera aims to help Android smartphones consume less data
The company is looking for beta testers in the US
IDG News Service - Norwegian browser company Opera Software is developing an app designed to decrease Android data consumption.
For many smartphone users around the world unlimited data usage is a thing of the past, but Opera wants to make limited data plans last longer with a new app called Max. Once the app is enabled, all non-encrypted data sent using HTTPA is forwarded to the company's compression servers, which then optimize videos, images, and websites to use less data, according to Opera.
The amount of data saved depends on the applications used, the kind of media content users access and ofA course how much data a user consumes, according to Opera. The company won't be able to help Facebook addicts, because Facebook encrypts its traffic. But an image of the user interface shows how Max can decrease the amount of data used by other popular apps, including Chrome, the Google Play Store, Vine and Instagram.
Right now Opera is looking for beta testers in the U.S. that have smartphones running Android version 4.0, also called Ice Cream Sandwich, or later versions of the Google operating system.
"If youA wantA more control over howA much data you use and if you're curious about which apps are hogging your data plan, then you're the tester we want," the company said on its website.A
For now Max won't be available outside the U.S. but Opera is working on expanding app compatibility and availability to other platforms and countries soon, it said.
The limited beta will available through Opera's Google+ Community page.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Performance Management: The Mobile App Development Playbook This comprehensive 16 page Forrester Research, Inc. report, authored by Jeffrey Hammond, Forrester VP and Principal Analyst, details a number of valuable, commonly...
- New Problems Require Innovative Solutions The mobile market is expected to be worth $25 billion by 2015
- Getting Agnostic about Mobile Devices The idea of being able to interact with customers, prospects, and stay attuned to competitive pressures is not new, but the velocity at...
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts