New app from Opera aims to help Android smartphones consume less data
The company is looking for beta testers in the US
IDG News Service - Norwegian browser company Opera Software is developing an app designed to decrease Android data consumption.
For many smartphone users around the world unlimited data usage is a thing of the past, but Opera wants to make limited data plans last longer with a new app called Max. Once the app is enabled, all non-encrypted data sent using HTTPA is forwarded to the company's compression servers, which then optimize videos, images, and websites to use less data, according to Opera.
The amount of data saved depends on the applications used, the kind of media content users access and ofA course how much data a user consumes, according to Opera. The company won't be able to help Facebook addicts, because Facebook encrypts its traffic. But an image of the user interface shows how Max can decrease the amount of data used by other popular apps, including Chrome, the Google Play Store, Vine and Instagram.
Right now Opera is looking for beta testers in the U.S. that have smartphones running Android version 4.0, also called Ice Cream Sandwich, or later versions of the Google operating system.
"If youA wantA more control over howA much data you use and if you're curious about which apps are hogging your data plan, then you're the tester we want," the company said on its website.A
For now Max won't be available outside the U.S. but Opera is working on expanding app compatibility and availability to other platforms and countries soon, it said.
The limited beta will available through Opera's Google+ Community page.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts