PayPal acquires StackMob for mobile technology
Ebay unit says StackMob can help it develop new payment products
IDG News Service - Ebay's PayPal division said on Tuesday it is acquiring StackMob, a company specializing in development tools for building mobile applications.
Terms of the deal were not announced. San Francisco-based StackMob, started in 2010, offers a custom API (application programming interface) that makes it easier for developers to connect mobile applications to backend platforms such as Salesforce and SAP.
StackMob offers a free basic service and more advanced subscription packages with service-level agreements, dedicated databases, API servers and support. The company's customers include Red Hat, Adobe Systems, Verizon and Urban Outfitters.
PayPal said StackMob will contribute to its development of new payment products as it seeks to diversify its payment processing by getting into retail stores.
Its "Beacon" technology uses a Bluetooth connection to let customers pay for goods without even opening the mobile application once customers have "checked in" to a store. In August, PayPal announced a chip and pin reader, which allows small businesses to securely accept credit and debit card payments.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts