Google and HP's Chromebook 11 charger recalled due to overheating
There have been reports of burns and minor property damage
IDG News Service - Google and Hewlett-Packard have recalled the micro-USB chargers of their Chromebook 11 due to fire and burn hazards, an example of an innovation that turned into a problem.
Users should stop using the Chromebook 11 charger immediately and call Google for replacements, said the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission in a statement issued Tuesday.
The product was deemed unsafe after Google received reports of chargers overheating and melting. The company also received one report of a small burn to a consumer and "one report of minor property damage to a pillow from an overheating charger." The recall involves 145,000 units.
Google and HP's Chromebook 11 was announced in October, and was the first laptop to come with a micro-USB charger, which is also used to charge smartphones and tablets. But incidents of overheating and melting prompted the companies to pull it from retail shelves in early November.
CPSC is advising Chromebook 11 owners to call Google by phone at 1-866 628-1371 or visit the company's charger replacement form page to request a free replacement. The defective charger unit's model number is MU15-N1052-A00S.
Meanwhile, Google and HP have resumed sales of Chromebook 11 with non-defective chargers.
"We apologize again for the inconvenience this has caused. Your safety is our top priority. With our partner HP, we are resuming sales of the HP Chromebook 11. All new packages will include the replacement charger," Google said in a blog entry on Tuesday.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!