Google and HP's Chromebook 11 charger recalled due to overheating
There have been reports of burns and minor property damage
IDG News Service - Google and Hewlett-Packard have recalled the micro-USB chargers of their Chromebook 11 due to fire and burn hazards, an example of an innovation that turned into a problem.
Users should stop using the Chromebook 11 charger immediately and call Google for replacements, said the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission in a statement issued Tuesday.
The product was deemed unsafe after Google received reports of chargers overheating and melting. The company also received one report of a small burn to a consumer and "one report of minor property damage to a pillow from an overheating charger." The recall involves 145,000 units.
Google and HP's Chromebook 11 was announced in October, and was the first laptop to come with a micro-USB charger, which is also used to charge smartphones and tablets. But incidents of overheating and melting prompted the companies to pull it from retail shelves in early November.
CPSC is advising Chromebook 11 owners to call Google by phone at 1-866 628-1371 or visit the company's charger replacement form page to request a free replacement. The defective charger unit's model number is MU15-N1052-A00S.
Meanwhile, Google and HP have resumed sales of Chromebook 11 with non-defective chargers.
"We apologize again for the inconvenience this has caused. Your safety is our top priority. With our partner HP, we are resuming sales of the HP Chromebook 11. All new packages will include the replacement charger," Google said in a blog entry on Tuesday.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts