New tech device? Make the most of it
We've got apps, advice, accessories and more for devices running Android, iOS 7, Windows 8 and Mac OS X Mavericks.
Computerworld - 'Tis the season for giving and receiving new tech devices. But don't stop there -- whether you're the lucky recipient of a new tablet, smartphone or computer, or you provide tech support to someone who is, check out and share these Computerworld stories.
We've got tips for the latest OS versions, roundups of excellent apps and key accessories, and advice on how to safely dispose of old devices. Click a link below to skip directly to your chosen topic.
- Android phones and tablets
- iPhones and iPads
- Smartphones and tablets (general)
- Windows 8 computers and tablets
- Laptops and desktops (general)
- Safely disposing of old devices
Android phones and tablets
Android Power blogger JR Raphael reveals his go-to Android apps for making a phone viable as his primary device.
Make your Android device better than ever with a custom onscreen keyboard that suits your style. These five options represent the best the platform has to offer.
Android 4.2 lets you put widgets on your lock screen -- so which apps make the most of the feature? We round up 20 of the best.
There are tons of apps on Android that are unavailable and without any equivalent on iOS, many of which make an enormous difference in the day-to-day use of a mobile device. Here are eight worthy examples.
A guide (featuring input from readers) to making some interesting and creative home screen setups that wouldn't be possible on any other platform.
After months of waiting and more than a few unofficial leaks, Google's latest version of Android -- Android 4.4, a.k.a. KitKat -- has arrived. Here's what KitKat is all about, and what it means for you.
If you're not lucky enough to have received a phone or tablet with KitKat preinstalled, this regularly updated list reveals when you can expect it to be rolled out to your device.
For even more Android help, this guide rounds up an astonishing array of tips, apps and advice from Android Power blogger JR Raphael.
iPhones and iPads
Got an iPhone as a holiday gift? Read this guide to the device's less well-known tools and you'll use it like a pro.
A smartphone without power isn't even a phone, so here are seven tips to memorize if you want to keep your iPhone or iPad working just that little bit longer.
Taking iPhone pictures is pretty simple, but the results will be even more impressive with these simple tips.
Hassle-free file sharing between devices is easy with AirDrop, following these simple steps for iOS 7.
Here's everything you need to know to use your iPhone effectively to take and manage phone calls.
Siri is your intelligent assistant, but sometimes its achievements disappoint. Here's how to train it and use it to best effect.
Just moved to the iPhone from Android? Here's a little info to help you migrate your digital existence.
Covers from Belkin, Logitech and Zagg offer both protection for your iPad Mini's screen and a keyboard.
If you've just gotten an iPad or iPhone, or know someone who has, here are some great products to make the device even better.
Behind the radical new look and retooled user experience are some easily overlooked capabilities you'll enjoy.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!