New tech device? Make the most of it
We've got apps, advice, accessories and more for devices running Android, iOS 7, Windows 8 and Mac OS X Mavericks.
Computerworld - 'Tis the season for giving and receiving new tech devices. But don't stop there -- whether you're the lucky recipient of a new tablet, smartphone or computer, or you provide tech support to someone who is, check out and share these Computerworld stories.
We've got tips for the latest OS versions, roundups of excellent apps and key accessories, and advice on how to safely dispose of old devices. Click a link below to skip directly to your chosen topic.
- Android phones and tablets
- iPhones and iPads
- Smartphones and tablets (general)
- Windows 8 computers and tablets
- Laptops and desktops (general)
- Safely disposing of old devices
Android phones and tablets
Android Power blogger JR Raphael reveals his go-to Android apps for making a phone viable as his primary device.
Make your Android device better than ever with a custom onscreen keyboard that suits your style. These five options represent the best the platform has to offer.
Android 4.2 lets you put widgets on your lock screen -- so which apps make the most of the feature? We round up 20 of the best.
There are tons of apps on Android that are unavailable and without any equivalent on iOS, many of which make an enormous difference in the day-to-day use of a mobile device. Here are eight worthy examples.
A guide (featuring input from readers) to making some interesting and creative home screen setups that wouldn't be possible on any other platform.
After months of waiting and more than a few unofficial leaks, Google's latest version of Android -- Android 4.4, a.k.a. KitKat -- has arrived. Here's what KitKat is all about, and what it means for you.
If you're not lucky enough to have received a phone or tablet with KitKat preinstalled, this regularly updated list reveals when you can expect it to be rolled out to your device.
For even more Android help, this guide rounds up an astonishing array of tips, apps and advice from Android Power blogger JR Raphael.
iPhones and iPads
Got an iPhone as a holiday gift? Read this guide to the device's less well-known tools and you'll use it like a pro.
A smartphone without power isn't even a phone, so here are seven tips to memorize if you want to keep your iPhone or iPad working just that little bit longer.
Taking iPhone pictures is pretty simple, but the results will be even more impressive with these simple tips.
Hassle-free file sharing between devices is easy with AirDrop, following these simple steps for iOS 7.
Here's everything you need to know to use your iPhone effectively to take and manage phone calls.
Siri is your intelligent assistant, but sometimes its achievements disappoint. Here's how to train it and use it to best effect.
Just moved to the iPhone from Android? Here's a little info to help you migrate your digital existence.
Covers from Belkin, Logitech and Zagg offer both protection for your iPad Mini's screen and a keyboard.
If you've just gotten an iPad or iPhone, or know someone who has, here are some great products to make the device even better.
Behind the radical new look and retooled user experience are some easily overlooked capabilities you'll enjoy.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts