Avago to pay $6.6 billion for LSI
Avago looks to ride the wave of growing mobile traffic with acquisition of storage and networking firm
IDG News Service - Semiconductor company Avago Technologies has agreed to buy storage and networking company LSI for $6.6 billion in an effort to expand its data center offerings.
The deal involves Singapore-based Avago paying $1 billion in cash, an equity investment of $1 billion by Silver Lake Partners and $4.6 billion in term loans from banks.
The combined company will be positioned for growth in the data center business with mobile traffic increasing at a fast pace, the companies said in a joint statement.
The growth in mobile traffic has increased the demand for networking equipment, with more of the data processing load falling on data centers.
Avago is mainly known for its equipment such as actuators and microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) used in industrial, automotive. lighting and consumer equipment, but also offers embedded chips for wireless base stations and networking equipment in data centers. Some of Avago's competitors include Texas Instruments, Analog Devices and Fairchild Semiconductor.
LSI already offers hardware equipment for data centers, including flash storage, network processors, controllers and other products, with Mellanox and Intel being top competitors.
The acquisition of LSI also helps Avago expand its offerings in the wired infrastructure of data centers, said Hock Tan, president and CEO of Avago, in a statement.
But wireless networking assets seem to be a big focus. Earlier on Monday Intel acquired the wireless networking assets of MindSpeed Technologies for an undisclosed sum.
The Avago-LSI deal is expected to close in the first half of 2014 and is subject to customary conditions and regulatory approvals.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts