Nokia adds new camera app for low-end Lumia phones
Cheaper Lumias get same Camera app used in high-end Nokia smartphones
IDG News Service - Nokia has released a beta version of its Camera app that will add more advanced features to smartphones like the Lumia 520 and the Lumia 720.
With products such as the Lumia 1020 and its 41-megapixel sensor, Nokia has this year pushed its cameras as the main reason why users should buy one of its high-end devices. The company is now looking to make some software features on those smartphones available on its cheaper models, first via a beta version that's now available for download.
The Camera app was originally announced in October and combines all the features of the Pro Cam application with some features from the Smart Cam app. In addition to the Lumia 1020, the app is now also available for the Lumia 925 and 1520. It allows users, for example, to swap the face of someone with their eyes closed in a group photo with a version of the image in which the person has their eyes open. It does this by taking 10 pictures in rapid succession.
Initially, the beta will work the same way as the existing version. The first phase of the beta is to make sure it works the same way across the product range. But over time, new features will be tested and eventually added to the stable, non-Beta version through the normal Store update process, Nokia said in a blog post Monday.
This is the complete list of smartphones that will be compatible with the app: Lumia 520, 521, 620, 625, 720, 810, 820, and 822. A final version is expected to arrive in the beginning of next year. Nokia asks users that download the app to be patient, because as with any beta software, it might be unstable and users may be affected by various problems, it said.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts