China lands rover on moon's surface, a first for the country
First Chinese craft to land on an extraterrestrial body will study moon's surface before China sends astronauts there
Computerworld - China's lunar probe, and the moon rover it carried, landed successfully Saturday night, marking a major accomplishment for the country's space efforts.
This is the first time a spacecraft from China has landed on an extraterrestrial body. China becomes the third country, after the United States and Russia, to land a spacecraft on the moon.
China's Chang'e-3 craft lifted off early on Dec. 2 on top of an enhanced Long March-3B rocket from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China.
The spacecraft began slowing a little more than nine miles above the moon's surface. It then hovered at about 300 feet above the surface where to onboard sensors checked for obstacles and found a safe landing spot. Then the craft slowly descended to the surface, according to China's Xinhua News Agency.
The Chang'e-3 carried a lander and a moon rover named Yutu, or Jade Rabbit. The rover is slated to survey the moon's geological structure and surface materials, while also looking for natural resources, reported Xinhua.
The news agency said China is planning to send astronauts on future moon missions, though it didn't provide details.
In September, the U.S. launched a lunar craft called the Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) observatory.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts