Dell joins forces with Dropbox to boost hosted storage for enterprises
The company backs up Dropbox for Business with its own security product
IDG News Service - Dropbox is getting help from Dell to persuade enterprises to pick its hosted storage and file-sharing platform, and also to make it more secure.
Take advantage of enterprises' growing interest in and acceptance for personal cloud-based storage services, vendors like Dropbox have been partnering with large telecom operators and software vendors.
On Thursday, Dell announced that its global sales team will from now on sell the business edition of Dropbox. The news follows an announcement from Box, which focuses on SMBs and large enterprises, that it partnered with Australian operator Telstra and British mobile operator EE last week. Dropbox and Box are still new names for CIOs and working with larger partners gives them both a stamp of approval as well as a larger sales force.
Dell is combining Dropbox for Business with the Cloud Edition of its Data Protection suite to let employees use hosted storage at work while at the same time providing IT departments with more control.
The Cloud Edition was announced in March, and offers features such as encryption, usage monitoring and the ability to create white lists of email addresses that users are allowed to use for file sharing. In addition to Dropbox, it is also compatible with Box and Microsoft's Skydrive.
This year, Dropbox has worked to improve its enterprise product. The company announced last month a new version that comes with the ability to better separate work-related and personal files and also allows administrators to remotely delete folders.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Three Best Practices to Help Government Agencies Overcome BYOD Challenges This paper highlightschallenges facing government IT in a BYOD environment and discusses strategies for network preparation, ongoing support, and securing information to enable...
- Analyst Report-Mixed All Flash Arrays Delivers Safer Higher Performance What is the impact of an all-flash array with enterprise features and reliability on the mainstream data center? In the mainstream environment, storage...
- Embracing Flash Storage Exec Brief Flash storage can deliver impressive performance, especially for random I/O, by eliminating rotational and seek latencies that are common in all hard disk...
- Embracing Tiered Storage Exec Brief All data is not created equal and thus all data need not be treated the same by the storage system. IT executives must...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts